Saturday, April 17, 2010

Day at the Ball Park

So back in early March Miranda and I one night decided to sit down and plan our Spring/Summer out. Well Miranda asked me if I wanted to take Connor to a baseball game. After taking Connor to a couple games last year he has been asking to go back all off-season. So of course I want to take Connor to some more games this year. So we planned on this weekend as the Brewers were coming to town. Now I am not an avid baseball fan let alone Brewers fan so I really could have cared less about the outcome but I love spending time with Connor so oh well.

Well, as many of you may imagine parking is terrible in DC so I decided the way to go would be to take the bike. It is only a short 3 mile ride from our front door so I thought "no problem", even with the trailer that Connor rides in. Well what I neglected was the wind. It was terrible! Even when I was going down hill I had to pedal just to keep momentum. The whole way to the park I was sucking wind. Connor was in the trailer saying "Daddy I want to go faster!" Lets just say the extra 30lbs I was towing wasn't making it easier. By the time I checked my bike in to the bike valet I was a sweaty mess. Connor was well rested and ready for the game.

So we got to the park about an hour before the game started so I took Connor to the playground in the ballpark. Like a typical kid he was off and playing in no time, leaving me to stand on the side like chopped liver. The worst part is whenever he happened to be near by and I would talk to him he acted like he didn't know me. Wow, what a reality check. He's not even four and already I am getting ignored. About 15 mins before the game started Connor decides he is done playing and wants to go find our seats.

We get to our seats and we are surrounded by Brewers fans! Which was nice. The couple that sat in front of us were from Sobieski, WI and the one was wearing a Packers Shirt. Connor saw it and without missing a beat started chanting "Go, Pack, Go!". Before long he had the whole section chanting "Go, Pack, Go!" and booing the Vikings. It was great! Connor had everyone eating out of his hand. What happened next was something straight out of movie.

Connor had his baseball glove with him and every time there was there was a left handed batter up I told Connor to put his glove up because they were going to hit a ball at him. Well the couple in front of us thought it would be nice to get him a ball and give it to him. Well it was the top of the 6th and Prince Fielder was up to bat and he fouls a ball right at us! It was short but it was right on line with where we were sitting and Connor closed his eyes held his glove high and the guy put the ball in Connors glove. Connors eyes got huge when he looked in his glove and thought he caught the ball! Then not even batting an eyelash Connor grabs the ball and throws it back! We were two rows back from the ledge and three levels up, and down the ball goes! The entire section yelled "NO!" Connor was so embarassed he ducked his face behind me. The guy was so nice he actually went done talked to the people the ball landed on and got it back for Connor. That is what I call "Wisconsin classy". I had to buy him a beer. The guy came back and gave me the ball to hang on to.

I had so much fun with Connor at the game. Connor is napping right now as the day took it all out of him. I can't wait until the Packers come to town this football season. Nats 8 Brew Crew 0. Oh Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment